Sunday, February 20, 2011

You *Must* Read This


Allow me to take a break from talking about intentional community to discuss, in the spirit of an NPR series, a book you simply must read: Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck.
If you're a fan of memoirs and travel writing, as I am, or simply a fan of durn good writing, you should read this book. It's the story of Steinbeck's roadtrip across the country in search of the "True America" with his trusty French poodle, Charley. In the course of three months, Steinbeck makes his way up from New York to the northernmost part of Maine, then traces the entire perimeter of the U.S. in his camper truck. Here are some of his ruminations along the way:

(On Texas): "Once you are in Texas it takes forever to get out, and some people never make it." . . . . "Texas is the obsession, the proper study, and the passionate posession of all Texans." [Speaking of his wife, a Texan] "A Texan outside of Texas is a foreigner. My wife refers to herself as the Texan that got away." [On the huge, military scale of all Texan endeavors] "Nowhere are there larger bands or more marching organizations, with corps of costumed girls whirling glittering batons. Sectional football games have the glory and despair of war, and when a Texas team takes the field against a foreign state, it is an army with banners."

Oh, John! I cracked up as I read this entire section. I've never met the man and now never will, but reading this I wanted to draw up a chair in his camper and swap stories on the quirks of these peculiar people we both love dearly. (Much love to every Texan reading this post).

Here's more, on Wisconsin:

. . . "When I saw it for the first and only time in early October, the air was rich with butter-colored sunlight, not fuzzy but crisp and clear, so that every frost-gay tree was set off, the hills were not compounded, but alone and separate. . . . I remembered now that I had been told Wisconsin is a lovely state, but the telling had not prepared me. It was a magic day. The land dripped with richness, the fat cows and pigs gleaming against green, and, in the smaller holdings, corn standing in little tents as corn should, and pumpkins all about."

Hmmm. . . .*ahhhh.* I've never considered Wisconsin before, but on your suggestion, John, I'm booking my flight now--though don't tell the Pittsburghers as they're still Superbowl-sore and won't let me back in the city.

There's much, much more in this book, on the nature of journeys and why it is that Americans everywhere, for some mysterious reason, have the urge to "go" ingrained in our biology. It is a wise, sad, funny book. Most importantly, it met my most crucial criteria for choosing a book: I would like to have the author as my friend.

So now I am looking for a new book and I'm wondering. . . which one of your favorites *must* I read?

7 comments:

  1. My criteria for liking a book: wishing I had written it.

    Recommendation: Cannery Row!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, more Steinbeck--thanks for the suggestion! Also on my list: The Grapes of Wrath. Also on my list: everything else he's ever written.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you do know that I'm a born and raised Texan and Josh was born in Wisconsin, right?? I'm sure this was your subconscious telling you you miss us and all that.

    B-T-Dubs, we'd love to video chat or something with you guys and talk about your experience. We miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree. One of my monthly reading themes before long will center around Steinbeck. (Finally! A new years resolution I actually stuck with past January!)

    Here's another one: Bliss to You, Trixie's Guild to a Happy Life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Putting this on my to read list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katie. . . if my subconscious is talking, then I guess I better listen! We would *love* to have a Skype date with y'all. We miss you too! We have a Pittsburgh shot glass that's been sitting on our dresser since September, waiting to be mailed to you guys (we thought we'd have a chance to drop it by Starbucks when we were in town last month, but, sadly, that didn't happen).

    When would a Skype date work for y'all?

    And thanks for the comments, everyone! Keep those suggestions rollin'!

    ReplyDelete